1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertile Eggs for Eating?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HunterH, Mar 26, 2015.

1. HunterH

HunterH Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    What do you guys do for your eating eggs? Do you separate your hens or is it standard to eat fertile eggs? Would appreciate any info on storing, etc.

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Iv never actually known anyone to purposely separate for eggs from a hen only flock. I promise you , you'll never be able to tell the difference. I generally leave mine in a turner on the counter. Then if they get ten days old before someone wants them for hatching. I move them into cartons or large bowls and frig. But if un washed and not dirty, they will keep for eating right on the counter top for weeks or longer.....

EDIT TO ADD: http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. HunterH

HunterH Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    Awesome info from you as always...thanks a bunch.

4. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    If you're ever in question of how old your eggs are, and if they're still good for eating; you can "float" them. Choose a bowl or cup that is deeper than your eggs are long (from round end to pointy end). Fill the bowl with water and place the unbroken eggs in the bottom.

-- If they lay flat on their sides:
    fresh and good to eat
    -- Pointing up with round butt still on the bottom of bowl:
    Still good but use NOW
    -- If the bottom of the egg floats above the bottom of the bowl of water....or floats to the top:
    Throw it out.

I have lost track of which eggs are from when many times. I just fill a little bowl with water and see what floats and what doesn't. Bad eggs float, good eggs sink.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by