Fertile eggs laid today ok to set in bator tonight?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Mar 26, 2011.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    The eggs have been sitting at room temp since 10 am, bator is holding steady, im so excited to get started!! Do they need to set out a certain amount of time or is it ok to do it tonight?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Put them in. There fine.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've taken an egg from the nest and put it directly in the bator. It's fine. Good luck!

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Ok great!! Thank you! It is my first time, (obviously) ha ha, I cant wait!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I want to just say that if you're wanting to set more, I'd wait for several days and put them in, in one group rather than add eggs for several days. If you keep adding eggs you'll have a staggered hatch to deal with, which doesn't work as well unless you have a different hatcher to use.

6. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Oh shoot! I just put them in and I am getting another dozen tomorrow morning. They will be about 18 hours apart. I do have an additional bator I can use as a hatcher i suppose. Should I put the first 15 i did today in the hatcher on day 18? for lockdown, or wait till day 21? yikes what have i done?

7. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I wouldn't worry about an 18 hour spread, they'll be fine.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Agreed. I've done that, but don't stagger anymore or they'll be too far apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by