Fertile Eggs/Laying Hens/Sussex/Broody Bird Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Connorrm, May 1, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Okay, so in my quest to learn more I have now come up with yet another question:

Are fertile eggs taken every day and refrigerated safe to eat? Or do they look icky? I know it's probably a silly question. But, like many folks out there I have this romanticized vision of producing my own replacer chicks every year by hatching them from my own eggs.

Yet, I don't want to crack into an egg and see a nasty surprise. So, if I keep a roo out of my sussex chicks, do I need to keep him separated and only mingle him if I want fertility?

Also, any one have experience with Sussex chickens and know if they're good moms? I'd like (and hope) I can raise chickies the natural way [​IMG]

Edit: Since I heard from another thread TSC SR chicks are all males....that means I might have to make another order before the seasons over. Can anyone reccomend a good dual purpose breed standard breed that goes broody? I used the selection tool, but when I read the descriptions on hatchery websites they say they aren't broody >[​IMG]

Any help is appreciated [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look pretty much the same as any other egg. Unless you know what to look for, you cannot tell the difference in appearance or taste. Most every egg we eat here is fertile.

I have had Speckled Sussex but they haven't gone broody so can't answer your question about them being good moms.

3. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Well that is reassuring. Hmm, maybe I should add something that is known to be broody [​IMG]

I had black stars a few years ago. All three went broody >.> took me two weeks to get them to knock it off.

4. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    the chicken doesn't start forming until incubation starts. otherwise, the only change you will notice is the blasto(something-or-another) will change shape a bit (it's a small opacity on the yolk).

most people think blood in an egg is from being fertilized. it is not, and has nothing to do with fertility.

also, a chicken can hold "rooster juice" for 3-4 weeks (they don't need to be bred everyday to lay fertile eggs)

my sussex have a "pet banty," they're supposed to be pretty broody. i know of a breeder that keeps cochins for brooding, as well

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  5. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Hmm cochins will have to look those up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by