Fertile eggs on ebay

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheSillyDingo, Jun 14, 2018.

1. TheSillyDingo

TheSillyDingo Chirping

Jun 9, 2018
    Sold some fertile eggs online and today i got a message saying that not one egg hatched. I attached my item description to this... i'm not sure what they want or if they just wanted me to know... but i guess we'll see...

Attached Files:

Cyprus, boz and The Phantom like this.
  2. RosieR

RosieR Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Well you did specify you would not guarantee anything beyond fertile and fresh. Could have been anything from shipping to incubating troubles.
    Shipped eggs are always risky :idunno

Cyprus, boz, MROO and 4 others like this.
  3. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    Also there is that slight possibility that the was infertile. Not every egg is always fertile.
    They may of wanted to tell you that they were successful in hatching all but one.

Cyprus likes this.
  4. TheSillyDingo

TheSillyDingo Chirping

Jun 9, 2018
    Maybe.. do any of you sell fertile eggs. Is it unreasonable to not guarantee hatching?

Cyprus, KikisGirls and Lacy Duckwing like this.
  5. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    I've never sold any hatching eggs before but I have given away some to a neighbor. Barnyard mix. There is never a 100% guaranteed hatch. There is a saying "Don't count your eggs before they hatch". You can get a 100% successful, but not guaranteed.

Cyprus, boz, MROO and 1 other person like this.
  6. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    I think unless you're going to incubate and hatch for the buyer there is no way for you to guarantee hatching. Did they candle them to see if there was ever development? All you can really guarantee is fresh, fertile eggs.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    ChooksNQuilts, Cyprus, boz and 2 others like this.
  7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more

No, it is not unreasonable.

8. TheSillyDingo

TheSillyDingo Chirping

Jun 9, 2018
    Im not sure

Cyprus likes this.
  9. RosieR

RosieR Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    I have not sold any no, I’m still learning :)
    I bought some eggs from nearby (not shipped but I drove out to get them) recently, and none developed. Likely due to my inexperience. I told the seller and she was nice enough to replace them, but I absolutely did not expect her to. And I was super clear with her that I was most likely at fault.

Cyprus, boz and MROO like this.
  10. MROO

MROO Crowing

Don't guilt yourself into going back on your clearly stated business policy! There is not a single egg seller on the Internet - either on eBay or any of the major hatcheries - that will guarantee a hatch rate. In fact, I've never even run into a local farmer who would guarantee hatching. Unfortunately, when incubating someone else's eggs, the only guarantee is that you are taking a risk!

Cyprus, boz, TheSillyDingo and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: