Fertile eggs or not? Male not doing his job

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jellybean, May 26, 2010.

1. jellybean

jellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bellevue, ID
    I have ducks, 3 of which will be butchered very soon. Then I'll just have a male and female. I also have 2 female Africans, and one male African. They started laying early, like March. And the male was breeding one female and chasing away the other. After a while the male ducks started trying to breed the geese and chasing them. So the male African (Beaker) kind of quit breeding her. He hangs out with the ducks all day, and the two females wander around together. They aren't with the "group" all day because the ducks torture them. (Yes they're getting killed very soon!)

So lately the females have been taking turns trying to breed each other. I rarely see the male breeding the one female, but maybe I just don't see it. I don't know. The other female hasn't been laying for a while. Once in a while I'll get an egg out of her. The other lays almost every day. I want to let her sit, but I'm doubting they're fertilized. Does this behavior seem normal? I'm not sure what to do (other than kill the ducks and hope it gets better). I started locking the male ducks out of the pen at night so the geese wouldn't be harassed all night. And she acts broody, she sits on the egg for quite a while after laying and tries to hide them from me. Should I just try it? I don't have an incubator.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Let her gather a clutch and let her try. What have you got to lose?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by