Fertile eggs sold in supermarket

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magsrags, Jan 16, 2011.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Has anyone attempted to hatch the eggs sold in supermarkets that claim they are fertile eggs? I am tempted to experiment for the heck of it. My Stop & Shop here sells big brown ones and I just wondered...................[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There's many threads here, every month, on that very thing. Sure. The results vary, but of course, some chicks indeed hatch.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    You cna buy fertile eggs in the store?! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uh yup. There are a few threads under "Trader Joe's eggs" in this forum.

I, myself, she said proudly, hatched chicks from TJs fertile eggs bought right out of the refrigerated egg section of the store.
    [​IMG]

Hatched on January 1st, 2011, first chick:
    [​IMG]

I got 3 out of one dozen incubated, and 1 out of the second dozen incubated.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Yes and sucessfully (actually better than some shipped eggs) It can be done, it can be hit or miss, just try to get eggs that are the freshest they have available.

My brown eggs supposedly laid by RIR according to the companies website ended up as the cutest round fluffy yellow chicks (with some black spots) they turned into pretty white chickens, so you might get something you don't expect lol.

6. drezac10

drezac10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    Pine Island, MN
    Some times you will find threads on here about fertile eggs at trader joe's, lots of people have left comments in those threads, but of course not a high percentage hatch rate.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    hmm, I never knew that. What breed are they?

8. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Mine must have been some sort of cross, I got 7 chicks out of 12 eggs. They were from eggs I bought at Lucky's

[​IMG]

2 in the middle are the grocery chicks, rest are favs from eggs bought on BYC.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Mine are most likely white Leghorns. They're feathering out white, anyway, now two weeks old. And leghorns are one of the most commonly used battery hens for egglaying, because they're so good at it under really adverse conditions.

I plan on providing optimum conditions for these little newest members of my flock. Unlike their mothers and grandmothers, these chicks will be free ranging chickens with any of several coops in which to choose to roost.

10. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My son and I are going to build an incubator using an old cooler chest, found a video on youtube about it. Heading out in a few minutes to get a few parts I need and some fertile eggs from TJ's. This build/first hatch will be for my son's 5th grade science project for school. I was going to purchase a Brinsea incubator for $100 + shipping. They have not replied to my email about shipping dates, and I'm glad. They won't get my money, and we'll have a brand new incubator, more personal involvement in the science project, and a deeper learning experience for my son [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by