Fertile eggs with a 12 week old roo???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coop de Grille, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Do these eggs look fertile? I have not had a roo in with my girls since last year. Right now I have five little 12 week old roos, and I have seen one of them (the dominant one) mounting my hens. Is it possible for him to fertilize eggs at only 12 weeks old? He is an Easter Egger.

Right above the camera flash spot you can see the white ring on the yolk.
    [​IMG]

Is that a bullseye that I see??

[​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yup, you're right. Wow, what an enterprising little man.

3. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    That's what I thought!

The funny thing is that he doesn't even "reach" lol.. He grabs them by the neck and he is just a little over half her size. I was shocked when I saw these eggs today.

4. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I popped 12 eggs in the incubator and I can see veining in two of them, today is day 4! Some of them are too dark to see through, and the others I can't see anything yet.

5. mmgillan

mmgillan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Walterboro, SC
    WOW! I have 8 week old chicks that early on we noticed one sounded different than the other chicks. Sure enogh this AM, went out to find him cockel doodle dooing his little 8 week heart out! So does this mean he can start fertilizing the others early, before they are ready to start laying? Should I move him into the other pen with my older hens? Also noticed he was a little aggressive towards the others. What to do, what to do....

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    A 12 week old roo fertilising eggs is unusual. 8 Weeks is way too young. He may be "crowing" and practising, but it's unlikely that he'll produce sperm and have a high enough quantity be able to mate successfully with a hen and fertilise her eggs. Wait until he's a few weeks older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by