Fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Feb 2, 2009.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Does these cold temps effect the fertility rate in eggs? I want to hatch out some bantams and I can't seem to get to the eggs until cold. I check 4-5 times a day. I think they know what I am trying to do.

2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Collecting them when outside temps are between 40 and 70 degress is best. So long as they do not get below freezing you should be fine. Be sure to allow the eggs several hours or better yet overnight to completely reach room temperature before placing them in an inubator to avoid condensation problems.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Roosters are at peak vigor in spring and early summer. Nature arranges it that way, so as to not risk losing hatches do to environmental cold. It has been noted throughout history that springtime is hatching time - just check your Easter displays at the local store!

Fertile eggs subject to cold temperatures below 50* will begin to lose hatchability. Below 40* and you risk killing the fertile germ.

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Super. I am not going to worry then. There was only a few days a couple weeks ago when the temps went below freezing. Now the average is 45 degrees. The sun coming in the window warms things up a lot.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by