fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I didn't do it, Mar 20, 2007.

1. I didn't do it

I didn't do it Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    hi well i had a flock of 12 hens and on thursday i got a 6-8month old RIR cock and i was wondering how long until the eggs are fertile. also i have only seen him mate once that was on sat. also he does not have any tali feathers

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

With a young roo and 12 hens, I'd give it a few weeks before testing eggs for fertility. A bit many hens for a larger breed roo but he should be able to make rounds as long as he is top chicken and it's not one of the hens.

3. I didn't do it

Mar 19, 2007
    thanks do u think i should keep 1 or two roosters that hatch out when i incubat the eggs(i am hatching out 25 eggs 10 for me and 15 for my friends)idealy i would like to have 5 -6 more hens and how ever many roosters i need

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I have RIR/Mix......there are 11 ladies...and 2 Roos. Everyone seems to be happy with this situation. Each Roo has his favorite hens....Maybe one more roo wouldnt hurt tho for your ladies...as long as the roos dont fight.

5. I didn't do it

Mar 19, 2007
    ya i am thinking of getting some cochins are they aggrasive roosters. i have had bad luck with my roos. out of the past 4, 3 have gone to the stew pot because of meanes.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Im not sure of the cochin roos....If you get a young roo....maybe you can tempt it with hand fed treats for a while. He should respect the hand that feeds him, not always the case tho. Just trial and error as far as roos go. Both my boys are RIR/(I think white rocks) very sweet boys well...to me they are.
    [​IMG]
    This is Ruby Roo. He is " the boss"

[​IMG]

This is Mr. C He has his favorite hens,( the ones Ruby is not too fond of) LOL

7. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Oooh, Ruby is a baaaaabe :3

Mr. C's the cute one, though [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I find Cochins to be quite docile. It really does depend on the bird though. Good luck finding the right roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by