Fertile Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rodandbrandy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    How do you know an egg is fertile without breaking it open or incubating? Do you just use your rooster to hen ratio? Can you candle them and check for fertility prior to incubation? I welcome all ideas!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You can't tell by candling... you either crack a few from your layers and check for the bulleye and disc sperm or incubate them to like day 3 or 4, then stop the process and check for growth.....Rooster/hen ratio should be 1 roo to 8 or 9 hens for him to have good mating.....some just use a trio..1 roo to 2 hens to hatch a certain breed....and some or rarely you have a rooster that shoots blanks....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  3. rodandbrandy

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Thanks so much!! Do you know if chickens need to be a certain age before mating will work, my chickens are 6 months old and have been laying eggs for almost 3 months, can these be fertilized eggs or do I have a better chance of fertilized eggs this spring?

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    As long as your roos is fertile, then your eggs are probably already fertile. Hens can lay fertile eggs from the first breeding assuming normal fertility.

BUT, most folks wait until their hens are about a year old or so before they start to use the eggs to incubate to ensure the egg size and quality is adequate to sustain the chick and have a good hatch rate.

Having said that, there's no harm in going ahead and incubating some of your eggs as a trial. The 1 yr old guideline would be more relevant if you were selling the eggs for hatching.

5. rodandbrandy

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Thanks so much!!

6. gobbles!

gobbles! Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Quote:So wait, so the white, bulls-eye dot I see on my yolks is the sperm disc?

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    gobbles! :

Quote:So wait, so the white, bulls-eye dot I see on my yolks is the sperm disc?

If it has a bullseye ring around it that is where the embryo begins to develop. So, yes.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by