fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smokeyodie97, Jul 25, 2010.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I heard if you feed your hens laying mesh their eggs will not be fertile. Is this true?

2. Hi! My breeding birds all get layer 'pellets', supplemented with other high-protein goodies.
    Their eggs are fabulously fertile.
    I wonder why anyone would think that?
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    No it is not true. I was trying to come up with something creative to answer back with, but am stumped. I am hoping someone else will be able to.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

That's a new one on me. I better quit feeding it. My hundreds of chicks I've hatched so far this year may have came from infertile eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    Quote:Now, that is the sort of thing I was tryin to come up with. Love it!!!

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Crumbles are broken and ground pellets and mash is just crumbles that are ground to a more meal-like consistency. It's a matter of choice which to feed, but without a rooster your hens will not be hatching any chicks.

With that being said, I've heard people that should have known better say the same thing.

The older I get the dumber I get
    Terry

7. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    NOT TRUE!! I finally hatched my first two chicks!!!

8. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Wow. Never heard of that [​IMG]
    I dont think its true though.

9. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Well we will find out soon, because all my hens are on layer pellets and one of them is on eggs! I am going to candle them in the next day or two! I will tell you what happens then...

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uhhhh... my GrandChick was hatched from an egg laid by my EE, Rebecca, who was on layer feed at the time.
    [​IMG]

(Quickest picture for me to grab and post at this moment, as proof that tale is SO wrong. Carl The Roo is its daddy, but Buffy the Broody Vampire Slaying BO hatched Rebecca's egg.)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by