Fertile Eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mossfamilyfarm, Aug 15, 2010.

1. mossfamilyfarm

mossfamilyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    So... I am FINALLY getting a ROO for my cochin hen!!! I found one that has placed well at several shows and I AM SO EXCITED to bring him home tomorrow!! But... how long does he need to be with my hen before the eggs she starts laying are fertile?? And... is it too late in the year to hatch out some chicks from these two?? I am going to incubate the eggs and like I said am so excited [​IMG] It's all I can do to keep myself from firing up the 'bator now [​IMG] LOL

Thanks Guys!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First, he needs to be quarantined away from your flock for at least 4-6 weeks to lower the possibility that he will pass something on to your flock. Don't skip this period and do not give antibiotics during it, either. May help to read this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12751

If he passes with flying colors, it may take your hen a while before she allows him to mate her. After that, it should be only a few days before the eggs are fertile, IF he knows what he's doing. Took five MONTHS for my first rooster to make the eggs fertile, he was so laid back.

3. mossfamilyfarm

mossfamilyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    Ugghhh... lol... 4-6 weeks?? Well, I sure dont want anything to happen to my girls... and I also have turkeys, is there a way to know if he is a carrier of blackhead?? Will that show itself during the isolation period?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by