fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Confusedfarmer, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Confusedfarmer

Confusedfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Hey all i placed 7 eggs in my incubator yesterday my question is my rooster has only been with the hens roughly a week or so do you think the eggs will do anything?

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Maybe, maybe not. If the "or so" means two weeks you will have a better chance of hatching. Does the roo seem to be doing his job? Technically, the eggs should be fertile even after one week but I would give him at least 2 weeks or more to be sure he is covering all his ladies. Good luck with your hatch.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some roosters take much longer than others to get it right, though. Mine took 5, yes FIVE, months before I got one fertile egg. Hopefully, you wont have that experience, LOL!

4. Confusedfarmer

Confusedfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    well the rooster i have with my girls is a 3 year old salmon favorelle so im guessing he has had women before lol i was just wondering wether i should leave them in there or not thanks.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    day 7 you should candle and if you see veins then your fine if you see clear you should chuck them

6. chickenmamatoo

chickenmamatoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    I borrowed a bard rock......left him with my girls for about 9 days.......started collecting on day 5 finished on day 9 out of 51 eggs total set in incubator 2 different days. Fertialization rates.....26 of the 51 were fertile determined from candling. Of those I have had 23 of them hatch.....the second to last egg hatched today the very last has not pipped:(

So...........we found that the eggs collected and day 5 and 6 had a lower fertility rate but as the next few days past we cracked a few eggs and saw and increse in fertility based on the germinal disc

If we were to do it again I will wait until day 7 to collect to be sure of fertility. They remained fertile for a little over 3 weeks after the rooster went home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by