fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ella1989, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ella1989

ella1989 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    hi
    ok i have 2 questions one is my candler not to strong and i was just wondering if any one could post me pics of the eggs i'm on day 4 and also when does the hatching season start

Thanks!!

2. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    In the Incubating and Hatching Eggs section there is a sticky (the first one I believe) that shows really good pictures of candling.

Hatching season all depends on the individual. I would imagine those in the warm part of the continent hatch sooner or even all year long wereas myself (in Northern Alberta) I am just starting my hatching season. And that is because 1) I couldn't wait any longer, I need quail for training purposes, and 2) if I'm going to run an incubator I may as well add some chicken eggs too...

If you are referring to when most people have fertile hatching eggs to sell, a lot of people will sell in spring after they have done a test hatch to check their eggs fertility and it usually continues well into the fall.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  3. ella1989

ella1989 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    ok thankyou very much!! that was really helpful

4. bsee4u

bsee4u Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Will give one real world experience. my first hatch which is going on right now was a big disappointment in the candling department. I started out with a strong flashlight, then when I couldn't see anything built a box with a hole in it, put in both a 60 and 75 watt bulb, didn't see anything like the pictures in the sticky. In fact based on pictures from the internet, I had 2 eggs that I thought had a chance, the other 5 were no good. The blue egg I have I really could never see through it. Anyway, 5 have hatched, one is almost fully hatched and the blue egg has Pipped and hopefully will hatch tonight. Moral of the story, IMO don't put much stock in candling unless you know what you are doing, I sure didn't but those baby chicks are thankful I knew enough that I really didn't know about candling and didn't give up on the eggs. (confusing last sentence) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by