Fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey all!
    I have 3 cocks and 4 pullets. We really need some more pullets. I'd rather hatch chicks them than buy them because i want them to adapt young, and because i love my cocks and id love to se a mix of them and the pullets. However, we dont have a broody, and ive heard that they wont go broody for several years. [​IMG] So, i htought id would be fun to incubate some!!
    now, the only problems with that are, we are a very busy family, and if we dont get fertile eggs, it will be an EXTREME waist if time!
    So, my question narrows down to: How do i know if my eggs are fertile without cracking them open? Also, What do fertile eggs look like cracked open? Does anyone have a pic?
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    I'm pretty new at this so this might not be the best answer, but when I incubate mine there's really no way I can tell from candling or just by looking at the eggs. I wait a week before candling again, and then I can tell the ones that are viable and most that aren't. I don't get rid of any until 10 + days just to make sure.
    Best of luck! [​IMG]

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks happy hens! Do you have any idea how much a self-turning incubator might cost?

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I don't think there is a way to tell. But 3 roos to 4 hens...? [​IMG] Yup, they are probably fertile.

How do your hens keep up with all the roos'... ummm.... manliness?

5. AFChick

AFChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Central NC
    Quote:Inquiring minds want to know [​IMG]

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:We have them seperated. 2 roos that get along together on one side, and ann the hens and 1 roo on the other side!

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Oh, another question! What does a fertile egg look like cracked open? Does anyone have a pic of it?

8. clairabean

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    :d

9. clairabean

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    No picture, but there would be a bullseye, or something. I am awful at determining, though, so maybe someone else will pipe up.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by