Fertile Eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by man-alive, Nov 16, 2011.

1. man-alive

man-alive Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    Bout to buy some cortunix quails soon. They will be adults I think (just the way they sell em where I will buy em). Just wondering about when to expext the eggs to be fertile. I wouldn't expect the hen to lay a fertile egg the very next day after putting her in the enclosure with a male. Just wanted to know how many unfertile eggs will be already on the way out before the fertile ones start coming.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would give it about 2 weeks after they start mating to make sure you get good fertilization. If you are bringing home adult quail, do not expect much until they get settle in which could be a week or two. It is hard on them to be moved. [​IMG]

3. man-alive

man-alive Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    Gotcha, thank you.

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yes just like to crows said it will take about 2 weeks to get real good fertile eggs but make sure that they have at least 14 hours of daylight each day ikandy vs real or artificial it doesn't matter. and yes sometimes after a move it can take up to a month to start laying eggs again

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Well, if your adult hens, were in pens with adult roos, then what ever eggs they lay are most likely fertile. If you are talking about securing adult stock, then placing a roo+hens setup, to only hatch the setup you want, then give it 2+ weeks to wash things out.

If your hens had roos with them, then any eggs should be fertile. If that's what you want, then increase your stock that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by