Fertile Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QualityPolish, Mar 19, 2012.

1. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Well I am doing a little experiment with my Polish but I've collected the eggs that are more in likely fertile. Now its been about 4 days since collection. Are these eggs still going to be fertile? I've actually never thought about this before :p So I'm relatively clueless when it comes to fertility.

Thanks in advance :)

QP

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, they should still be fertile if they haven't been refrigerated.

3. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    They should all be good if collected when the weather in your area was above say 50 degrees and stay good kept at room temperature for 10 days, people have had successful hatches with older eggs though. remember to turn them a couple times a day in an egg carton stored small pointy end down in the cups of the carton. Hope this helps.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They should be fine. When I was a kid, I had an old Sears metal incubator. I would fill it with eggs, run a hatch while collecting more eggs. Some eggs that I incubated were 22 to 23 days old. Hatch time of previous setting plus chick drying and incubator disinfection. Most of the older eggs were still viable. Eggs were maintained at approx 60 degrees in an earthen cellar and turned twice daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by