fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by plumeggstatic, Apr 20, 2012.

1. plumeggstatic

plumeggstatic New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Jena, Louisiana
    i have a rooster in with my hens and i was wondering can i sell the eggs. i,m getting about a dozen a day which is way to many for me and my family. if i can sell them do i need to refrigerate them to keep them from trying to grow or can i keep them on the counter top with the rest of my eggs. i just don't want to sell a half grown chick.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How old are your birds? You can refrigerate them but if you store them in a cool place like a basement you may not need to.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

If your house is reasonably Air conditioned it should be ok, but I sold 15 doz eggs today, people 'understand' that they are ok not refrigerated - but want them refrigerated anyway.

4. plumeggstatic

plumeggstatic New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Jena, Louisiana
    there about 1 1/2 years old. so as long as i don't incubate them they won't try to develop?

5. SmallFarmChick

SmallFarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    in the coop
    I heard that for 3 whole days no devopement will happen in an egg. After that you'll start to see little veins and stuff poking out from the red dot. If you wash the eggs and store them in a cool place they'll be fine. I have friends who have a rooster and keep them on their counter and they have never had a half way chick.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Nonsense! That is only when you are incubating, and when you incubate, development begins immediately - there is no 3-day delay.

To the OP, If the eggs are at room temperature they will not start to develop. You may find it interesting to do a little reading on the incubating thread to gain some understanding of the conditions required to incubate a chick from fertilized egg to hatch.

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Eggs -can- start developing as 'cold' as 80-85*f but for correct development they need to be 99*-101*f after 24 hours the egg has one of the required 21 days.

8. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    I Sell Eggs and I Have Several Roosters with my Hens and Most are Very Definately Fetalized ! But It is only with Time and pretty perfect conditions that they actually develope .. If you try to Incubate you will know that for sure .. I collect my Eggs often and I do Refridegerate immediately as Many customers have fears of not doing so.. They Do need to be Warm and moist to develope so If you dont want them to keep them cool and dry : )

9. Xlilpinkfing

Xlilpinkfing Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Hi! I have 2 muscovies females witch has layed (fertile eggs) I just wanted to know if I needed a incubator! Their really expensive! Can ducks raise their eggs themselves? Many thanks:)

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Muscovies are usually good broodies and good Mamas.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by