Fertile hens taken from rooster

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ed Brown, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Ed Brown

Ed Brown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    I recently purchaes 4 barred rocks who were in the company of rooster. The flock they were put with have never had a rooster. With the exception of the barred rocks, all the pullets squat when I come close. When will the new hens statrt doing this? And they are not friendly at all. I can pick up all the others. How long after being taken from the rooster will the barred rocks NOT be fertile? Thanks

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Well first, the new hens may not have been raised in the same manner as yours were and therefore are not used to someone handling them etc etc. It will take time for them to warm up to you. Secondly, your girls squat as a sign of submissiveness reaching mating and laying age but the new hens may not squat for you because they have been with a rooster, they would squat for him. As for the fertility isse...it can take at least 2 weeks for their eggs to become infertile...I would give it three weeks just to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by