Fertile or infertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickmomma03, Apr 15, 2016.

1. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I just want to make sure I am identifying fertile versus infertile properly. I took some pics of an egg I accidentally cracked yesterday while collecting eggs. I thought fertile. It is hard to get decent pics on my cell phone (don't get me wrong, my camera is pretty good, but it's hard to get the right angle without shadow etc) so I took extra in hopes of getting at least 1 that is good enough to tell. To the left of the flash/light is where the spot is on the top 2. On the bottom 2 it is just to the right of the flash/light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Fertile!!!!!!

3. chandarichards

chandarichards Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    So, what are you exactly looking for to determine a fertile egg?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The "Bullseye". All eggs have a white dot on the yolk when the egg is fertilized it becomes a bullseye.

Like these:
    [​IMG]
    (The blastodisc is unfertilized, the blastoderm is after fertilization)

[​IMG]

5. Cindi1972

Cindi1972 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Wenham
    The circle that you see is very, very circular, like a perfect circle and inside of that circle you will see what some call a bulls-eye. You can't miss it once you've seen it. The bulls-eye is lighter, in the center....

6. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I thought so, but I wanted to be sure. My cockerel has been off his game lately. He's hit and miss (I sold 3 of the girls a few weeks ago, and he's pretty piffed about it, but I have new ones inside so he'll eventually forget lol), so I wanted to be sure it wasn't just my eyes messing with me. Thanks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by