Fertile or Not Fertiile, Can you Tell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marie_martin, Dec 18, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I sent a few silkies to someone on the forum after changing roos and they did not have any that developed. Now I am wondering if there is a problem with my new roo. Would like your opinions on these eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pics are not great but maybe you can tell something. I am concerned now because I have sent out a couple of batches. I hatched some myself a few weeks ago but maybe they were still fertile at that time from my previous roos. Thanks so much for your help.

Marie

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I can't really tell with the first two, but the last two look like they are to me.

ETA: I am by far an expert, so please be gentle! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Can't see the first two. The last two look fertile to me.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Marie, I can't see a sperm dot in the disc but that doesn't mean its not there. The pics are alittle glarey.

What I do is test my own eggs for a acouple days in the bator or do a test hatch the full 21 days to make sure I know I have good fertility here at home when I have added a new roo.

5. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I guess I should have done that. I just figured he would know what to do. He appears to be breeding them. But I will just have to test some eggs to be sure. I will try to get better pics too. Do you guys know if there are pics posted here that show it more clearly?

Marie

6. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
  7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks but I already found it and my eggs are definitely fertile. I just opened a couple more and will get better pics but there is for sure a bulls eye. Thanks. I guess I am just second guessing because I was told that none of the silkies that I sent to that person developed. Will post more pics tomorrow.

Marie

8. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Marie, That could only mean then that the shipping has done the eggs in. I know for a fact I have hatched over 50 chicks of late and sent out hatching eggs and some have not had a decent hatch. It has to be the shipping...my thoughts....

9. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    That is my thought too but I just set a batch of eggs and refunded the person I was shipping to until I make sure they are fertile. If anyone has gotten silkie eggs from me the past few weeks and the silkies don't develop I can give a refund or replace the eggs but I have to be sure so I will test the eggs. Will still post more pics tomorrow and will let you know how the test batch goes.

Thanks for your help.

Marie

10. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Marie,

I just candled the eggs again tonight because I saw this post and hoped I was wrong. Nope [​IMG] All 4 Seramas and 6/7 Cochins you sent have swimmers, but all 6 silkies are clear. So I don't think it was shipping...unless the Silkies are super fragile. Also, when you collected eggs for me it was 1 1/2 weeks ago...maybe the eggs are fertile now but not before. [​IMG]
    Will you let me know if the other people you sent silkie eggs to get anything to develop?
    Maybe you could crack open one of your other breeds you know are fertile for sure and compare it to the silkie eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by