fertile or not fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DillardHome, Sep 2, 2009.

1. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    we recently purchased some Silkie and Sumatra hens that were around a rooster, is it true that in the next 10 days our eggs have a chance of being fertile but after the 10 days of not being around a rooster the eggs will not be fertile?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They should be fertile for about 14 days from the last time they were mated.

3. DillardHome

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    thank you so much for your help! [​IMG]

4. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Hi, I don't know about the ten day thing but if you want baby chicks, (I assume you want baby's...) If there was a rooster present, most likely some of them are fertile.
    First of all, you must have a broody hen, gather a clutch of eggs and see if she is ready to sit. If she sits for more than three to four day's continually and dosn't leave the clutch accept to eat, then you must candle the eggs and see if there are any blood vessels forming. If after atleast five day's you don't see any thing forming, they are NOT fertile. you can discard the eggs.
    or, get an incubator and see what happens. remember to candle the eggs every day to see whats happening or you're wasting your time. Good Luck!

5. DillardHome

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    thank you for your help! [​IMG] We did candle a total of 12 eggs since we got the hens some did have what appears to be a red ring inside and a dark spot. One of the eggs was laid 17 days ago it does have a red ring inside and a dark spot but no obvious signs of a chick since the normal incubation period is 21 days is it possible a chick could form in the next few days?

6. monathequeen

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    When or is a hen sitting on the eggs ???
    How long has she been sitting ?
    or are you using artificial incubation ?

If there is a Dark spot, it's fertile. and or pronounced blood vessels.
    They may be at different stages of developing. I had 8 eggs all at different stages and we only hatched four. well, Mom hatched four.

It depends on if they are getting the same amount of coverage by the sitting hen. Some eggs will develope slower if that's the case. Mom will also know if the egg is fertile or not. she will toss it aside.

my baby's are almost two weeks old now and so darn cute...mom is so proud.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Are these eggs they have laid since you got them? Unless one of the hens has been sitting on them and they have started developing, you can't tell if they're fertile or not by candling them.

8. DillardHome

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    I notice the hen will sit on the eggs when she's ready to roost for the night, not so much during the day though. Maybe because it is warm out? I have numbered the eggs so I will remember which ones I suspect may be fertile. I am not using an incubator. If I do have fertile eggs the chick should hatch in about 21 days right? One of the eggs does have a spot and red ring inside and it was laid Aug. 16 (this is the date I got all 11 hens and chicks) so the due date should be around Sept. 6, it just seems like it needs more time for developing compared to some of the pics I've seen online???? I guess the best solution is to wait and see.[​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Except for a short break to eat and drink each day unless they set on them 24/7 you won't have any eggs hatch even if they're fertile.

10. monathequeen

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Absolutely......What Katy said..........the hen has to sit 24/7....if she is leaving the nest during the day, forget about baby's.
    I would take all the eggs out of the box and get rid of them....unless another hen is willing to sit on them. sounds like you have a hen who wants to be broody but won't commit yet.
    those eggs will never develope unless they are sat on constantly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by