Fertile or not so fertile

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jordan8, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jordan8

jordan8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    England, Devon
    hi guys,

just a quick one...can anyone tell me if my cockerel is Finally doing his job....see i've looked at egg pics online and they just don't help!....could anyone distinguish if this by the pic is a bullseye or not ...thankyou<3

Jordan:) [​IMG]

2. pogmobum

pogmobum Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    I would say fertile the infertile ones just look kind of like blobs this looks like a bullseye :)

1 person likes this.
  3. jordan8

Feb 24, 2014
    England, Devon
    Thankyou, i've had a cockerel with a flock for a while...but he never 'did it' in front of me...as much as that sounds wrong lol! i think he is just a little shy...but im glad to know the birds doing his job, and that i'll be able to send eggs out to fellow hatchers .....Thanks again

Jordan:)

4. pogmobum

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    I just got a mental image of you sneaking up on your hens trying to catch them in the act! Haha good luck with it :)

1 person likes this.
  5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Yay for fertile eggs and a potent rooster!

6. jordan8

Feb 24, 2014
    England, Devon
    ahhh, im happy now ! i snuck one of my eggs in with some seramas i brought online that came yesterday ....fingers crossed :)x

7. pogmobum

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    I jus checked mine yesterday not fertile i have two roosters small frizzle pekins was hoping to breed them with my brown leghorns but genuinely think they are just too short for the job lol :)

8. jordan8

Feb 24, 2014
    England, Devon
    LOL, its not all about the size you know ahah...... its the other way round with me i have a huge turken cockerel who is always on my tiny frizzle lol..... its a shame the boys haven't breed with them yet i think a frizzle leghorn would be quite cool....perhaps give them some time lol!

9. pogmobum

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    I was hoping i would end up with the frizzle of the pekins and the egg laying ability of my leghorns :) i may look into constructing a small step ladder for the fellas!! Lol :D

10. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I believe egg laying is passed down from the father, not the mother's side. That would explain why many sex links use a RIR roo over any number of different breeds of hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by