Fertile or not?

MommaSampson

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 13, 2013
West Virginia
I have 4 eggs in a home made incubator. They're currently on day 10 and I was wanting some opinions on whether these eggs are fertilized.
Egg 1:

Egg 2:

Egg 3: I think this one is fertilized...

Egg 4

The third one looks like it *might* be fertile. Can't tell if it is an embryo or a shadow. It also looks like it might be stuck to the side of the egg as usually the embryo is taking up the large end of the egg. Number two looks like it started to incubate but died early. The others are clear. What does your homemade incubator look like?

So I waited a few more days and only the 1 changed so I'm thinking it's the only one fertilized but I still don't know if it looks right or if something has gone awry. It's been in the incubator since 1/3/13. What do you think?

Ok I've a question. I have my rooster in with my girls. I have been collecting the eggs from them since his been living with them about 2 weeks now. I have not been eating them or putting them in the fridge just in a carton in a cool part of house. Do I need to put them in the incubator and look after 10 days via candeling to see if fertile or will I see the veining start when there in the carton in the cool part of house. cause I need eggs as does my mum but don't want to use and give if fertile. Please help me I'm new to incubating.

I have all my notes in this article....... it will explain almost everything to you... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
Its best to start incubating them after collecting for 7 days but you can go 10... see the collection part... however they do not begin to "grow" until you set them and then candle at day 7 and you will see veining and movement of the new embryo

IDK why this posted so many times for one click!! SORRY!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom