Fertile or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MommaSampson, Jan 13, 2013.

1. MommaSampson

MommaSampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    I have 4 eggs in a home made incubator. They're currently on day 10 and I was wanting some opinions on whether these eggs are fertilized.
    Egg 1:
    [​IMG]

Egg 2:
    [​IMG]

Egg 3: I think this one is fertilized...
    [​IMG]

Egg 4
    [​IMG]

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    The third one looks like it *might* be fertile. Can't tell if it is an embryo or a shadow. It also looks like it might be stuck to the side of the egg as usually the embryo is taking up the large end of the egg. Number two looks like it started to incubate but died early. The others are clear. What does your homemade incubator look like?

3. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    I used a styrofoam cooler with a 25 watt bulb. I have a dish of water and a digital thermometer that tells me temp and humidity.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    When in doubt and it doesnt smell, let it set until day 14!

5. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    So I waited a few more days and only the 1 changed so I'm thinking it's the only one fertilized but I still don't know if it looks right or if something has gone awry. It's been in the incubator since 1/3/13. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    that pic looks like veining!

7. MommaSampson

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    Should it look like that considering it's been in the incubator for 17 days?

8. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Ok I've a question. I have my rooster in with my girls. I have been collecting the eggs from them since his been living with them about 2 weeks now. I have not been eating them or putting them in the fridge just in a carton in a cool part of house. Do I need to put them in the incubator and look after 10 days via candeling to see if fertile or will I see the veining start when there in the carton in the cool part of house. cause I need eggs as does my mum but don't want to use and give if fertile. Please help me I'm new to incubating.

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I have all my notes in this article....... it will explain almost everything to you... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    Its best to start incubating them after collecting for 7 days but you can go 10... see the collection part... however they do not begin to "grow" until you set them and then candle at day 7 and you will see veining and movement of the new embryo

IDK why this posted so many times for one click!! SORRY!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by