Fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smoothmule, Nov 13, 2009.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I have 3 young Serama's, about 6 months old now and one hen started laying and laid 5 eggs which I left then took them out since they were her first eggs. She didn't lay for a couple weeks then started laying again and laid 5 eggs and went broody. She's setting now and being a good little gal. I have never seen the little rooster breed any of the 2 hens with him. I don't set and watch them but I figured I would catch him at it sometime if he was breeding them but nothing. I'll let the little pullet set as long as needed to find out the sure way but just curious if the eggs are fertile.

I am considering taking the little rooster away and keeping him in another area then later bringing him back to his hens to see what happens but need to get another cage made before I can do that. What do you all think?

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Why dont you candle them after about 10 days and you would know for sure. I think it is a real toss up as to whether or not pullets that young are laying fertile eggs. It is very possible of course but also a chance of poor no fertility.

Kind of odd that she would go broody this young and this late in the season but on the other hand I dont know much about your specific breed.

Also unless he is tearing up your pullets with over breeding I am not sure it is necessary to put him in a separate pen.

He will sure enough breed when he is ready and may already be doing just that.

they often begin to breed before they are actually fertile.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Thanks. I thought maybe if he was separated from them a little while, a week or so, that he would be well, more amorous and I would see him breed so I'd know for sure. I'll just let her set these, it's just 18 days for Serama's and it won't hurt her. I'd rather not bother her since she's so young. She is doing the good little hen thing and I want her to feel secure in her box right now, this lesson will be very good for her later. If they don't hatch and she still wants to go broody, I'll give her someone else's egg or 2 to hatch so she'll feel like she did something big [​IMG]
    Serama's mature early and lay around 4 months old sometimes and they can be fertile, I just haven't caught him showing interest even. He's been crowing since the day he arrived at about 4 months old. I think considering they originated in Malaysia, that they just might think spring is here and not fall, who knows. It's been unseasonably warm this month here too and they are kept warm. Wish the little girl luck, her name is Diamond Girl.

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I think it sounds like a good plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by