Fertility after exposure to roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SweetMissDaisy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi!
    I'm wondering how long a hen will stay fertile after being exposed to a roo once she's no longer accessible to him?

I hatched a chick last night that I THOUGHT would have been fathered by my frizzle roo, but clearly one of my silkie roos is the father ... but the silkie wasn't in the enclosure with her (impossible for him to access her, even) when I pulled the egg for the bator. He had been in the enclosure with her previously (maybe as long as a week prior), which makes me wonder how long a hen's eggs can remain fertile after roo exposure.

...and, how long would I need to wait if I want to put a particular hen who has been exposed to roo #1 in with a roo #2 before I could guarantee roo #2 was the one fertilizing her eggs?

*phwew* [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They can be still fertile from the previous roo for about 3 weeks or so. So if you want to switch the male, give it at least a month to be certain.

3. SweetMissDaisy

ok .. thanks for the speedy reply!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Supposedly a hen will only keep sperm in her system for approximately 10 days, however most people who breed will allow up to a month.

5. SweetMissDaisy

I wish I could remember the date I booted the silkie out of the pen! [​IMG]
    Anyway, here is my "surprise" chick... dark grey bearded ameracauna mama X red silkie roo
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by