Fertility breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BlackAce, Dec 8, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I have 2 Roosters that are about 8 months old. I also have 3 Rhode Island Reds chicks / pullets about 10 weeks old. I'm not sure what the Roosters are but it has been suggested they are amber sex links. I only want and need one Rooster so that I can breed more.

No my question is when a Hen mates does she always need a Rooster? Will she always be fertile? My Roosters aren't mean but they never had a female either so that may change their demeaner.

The reason I'm asking is cause I want to see how the chicks are when they hatch so see if I want to keep the Rooster or not, and if I get another RIR Rooster will the new chicks look like the old Rooster since the hen has mated already.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There are very few animals that don't need both a male and female to reproduce. Some earthworms are one.

http://news.sciencemag.org/2012/12/slideshow-virgin-birth-not-so-miraculous-animal-kingdom

A hen can lay eggs her whole life without a rooster, but without a rooster they will be infertile.
    An egg is a bird's oestrous cycle.

Once mated a hen's eggs will be fertile for 2 weeks or more.
    So If a hen has been with a rooster of one breed and then roosters are swapped, the offspring can be from the first rooster for up to a month later.

3. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Prefect thank you that's exactly what I wanted to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by