Fertility issues with Pilgrim Geese

IsbelAcresTN

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 2, 2012
I have a pair of pilgrim geese. The female has laid about 12 eggs so far. I kept the first few to incubate and check for fertility, and they were all duds. I have not seen the male attempt to breed. I read that they prefer to beed in water so I have provided a deep pond, they are getting an excellent diet, I am trying to do everything right... what gives?!?
I read that incubating goose eggs is extremely difficult and its best to let them do the work themselves, so I have left her with her eggs. She is brooding very well and is very protective of her nest, its going to be heartbreaking when she does all this hard work for nothing.
Is there something I am missing? Why is the male not doing his job?

Hi - Goose eggs are not that hard to incubate as long as you get a few principles correct and you're prepared to monitor your eggs.

Not sure about your fertility but I assume you've a pair as they're Pilgrims. Firstly you only checked the first few eggs for fertility and these can often be clear with fertility improving as the clutch progresses. Also how old are they as not all Yearlings are reliably fertile.

Pete
wink.png

Thank you so much! I read on a site that goose eggs are "extremely difficult" to artifically incubate, but it didnt explain why. I dont feel as intimidated now. They are yearlings, so I will just give them some time and look forward to some goslings in the future
big_smile.png

Thanks Pete!

There's an Incubation Guide in the sticky at the top of the Goose section and you can also get it in the April/May issue of Backyard Poultry. It will help explain about incubation. Best of luck with your birds
wink.png

I subscribe to the Backyard Poultry mag and will be sure to keep an eye out for that article. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom