Fertility issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheHenMaster91, Mar 26, 2015.

1. TheHenMaster91

TheHenMaster91 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2014
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    I tried to hatch 12 eggs, candled them at 8 days, then cracked them all to check, not a single fertile egg. Ive had my hens with my rooster, Mr Smith, for 4 weeks. He is a 3 year old Araucana, last year he survived a bear attack, the only noticeable issue with him is that he has grown white feathers were his wound healed. Before I had him, and before the attack, he was fertile for sure and he is currently mounting each hen. So my questions are; Could the bear attack have affected his fertility? Is it an aim issue, he is Aracuana so hes rumpless and Im sure that adds so stability issues? Is fertility seasonal in roosters? Has he just not been with the girls long enough? Sorry if this isnt quite the right place to post this.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I've read that older roosters may not have great fertility until later in the spring. I'm not sure if that's true, maybe give it a bit longer and see if that changes now that the days are getting longer. I'd think if you're still not getting fertile eggs in a few weeks then really watch and see if he's trying to mate. At that point you could see if it's a balance/aim issue or if he's even trying.

3. TheHenMaster91

Sep 23, 2014
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    Would he mount but not follow through? I seem him mount each hen every couple of days, but I definitely wasnt watching close enough to see his aim haha

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Good question! Hopefully, someone else jumps in here. I'd think if you're seeing him mount the hens then it should just be a matter of time - unless he's infertile or just mounting without following through.

5. rapturecidal

rapturecidal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Yucaipa Ca
    My main dominate rooster Pedro will be 4 July 11th 2015 and he is very fertile. He has a lot of sons and daughters. He's killed the one cat that I know of, but as far as surviving a bear attack I have no idea how your rooster did that.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  6. TheHenMaster91

Sep 23, 2014
    Ketchikan, Alaska
  7. rapturecidal

rapturecidal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Yucaipa Ca
    Well unless it got his gonads i don't think it should have made him infertile. Because Pedro has been in so many fights I've lost count. cat fights, rooster fights even chased away a raven, I think he may have even been in a skunk fight but I'm not sure.

I'll tell you what though that's really amazing that your rooster survived a bear fight.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sounds like he's a true Araucana. From the reading that I've done on the breed, there is a fatal gene that (?sometimes) accompanies the rumpless trait. However, my understanding is that the chicks that inherit this gene die in egg before hatch. I wonder if Araucanas are more prone to fertility issues in general. You might see if there is an Araucana breeds thread, and see what kind of information you can scare out of the woodwork on the subject.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by