fertility of cockerel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuesdays chicks, Jan 10, 2011.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Hi all my 2 10 week old boys have been trying to mount my bantam brahma, is it possible they could be ready? they are an ee and a production red ee I think, the brahma is in molt I think and not laying and not having any of it, I was just wondering if they are still to young anyway if they did manage the deed. and she started laying again.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    sounds like the testosterone is flowing.

anything is possible.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Agree. The only way to know would be if the hen was laying and you tried to hatch the eggs. I have found by 6months my roosters are fertile. I have some 5month old Cochins that started topping at 4months, but they were topping the non-laying 4month pullets. I would say that if the behavior continues, (if not now) by about 4months of age they should be at least semi fertile. I would think. Maybe a 50/50 shot.

4. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    wonder if I'll get fertile eggs before they go to freezer camp, my dh is going to shoot me lol, all this because I wanted 2 hens, I knew I should of bought a house in the farms.

5. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    oh btw thanks for the replies, I'll wait to see if anyone starts laying again and keep an eye on the eggs I crack.

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:[​IMG] I guess I'm blessed and cursed. The only way my chickens go to freezer camp is if I do it all. My DH does not like to do it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by