Fertility of roo's & eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nccatnip, Aug 31, 2007.

1. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I am just now getting a few eggs, the girls are being a bit of slackers. But my question is what are the chances of my eggs (and ones soon to come) being fertile? Do roosters come "fully loaded" at this age (24 weeks) and proficient at hitting the mark? I would love to hatch out some chicks but would rather eat the eggs if the chances are slim.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Bump, still seeking answers

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I think there is a learning curve. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I bought my Barred Rock rooster, Hawkeye, when he was about 10 months old, the same age as my Girls. He'd never had contact with hens. After a month's quarantine, he went in with them and was running the show and doing everything a rooster should do, except mating the girls, who were pretty independent women and weren't exactly getting the hang of having a hubby. He was very laid back and sweet about the whole thing. They'd squat for me, but not Hawkeye. It took five months to get one fertile egg from the bunch, and then only from my Barred Rock hen, Lexie. Still, he doesn't quite get it done with most of my original flock, for some reason, although I see him mate almost every one of them except two of the Wyandottes.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Go ahead and eat the eggs for now.

A hen's first eggs are called pullet eggs and are usually smaller and have thicker shells than an older hen's eggs and are not as likely to hatch out well. Give them all a while to get the hang of things. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by