Fertility of rooster in fall?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyfowllady, Oct 24, 2007.

1. crazyfowllady

crazyfowllady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2007
    Louisa, VA
    I'm new to this site, but have been reading all the great advise and funny stories!

I have a silkie hen and rooster in a breeding pen and have been collecting eggs for a few weeks now. I was wondering if the rooster will lose his fertility as the hours of daylight go down. He's still mating, and all his eggs so far have been doing great!

So far, no sign of molting. But the other chickens his age (18 months) are molting big time. Will he quit breeding when he starts molting?

Any help would be great! I've only had chickens for a couple of years and have lots to learn! Thanks.

2. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    Hi! and Welcome! I think you will like being a member of BYC. I too am new and have been reading from the sidelines. Being new to chicken and the board I can't offer any advise but I'm SURE that someone will. [​IMG] There are alot of very experienced members here. I see that you have a Peacock for you avatar. Do you also raise them?

Sly

3. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    -Don't know for sure but I'm guessing the weather wouldn't effect fertility of your roo, however the amount of daylight hours or moulting would effect the number of eggs your hens lay. Hens don't lay as often in the short winter days. Some folks put a light on a timer in the winter months to fool/stimulate the hens to lay more eggs.

4. crazyfowllady

crazyfowllady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2007
    Louisa, VA
    Sly, yes I raise a few peacocks, though none are 2 years old yet. Can't wait for some eggs next spring!

I put a light on some breeder chickens last winter, but the hatch was terrible. Thought at the time it was the cold weather chilling the eggs before I could get to them. Now I wonder if the roosters may need more light then the hens. The hen I'm breeding now is dropping off on her egg production but still gives me about four a week. I was just wondering if the rooster could still do the job.

5. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    Do you raise any other birds?

Sly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by