Fertility question

Jaboyd2u

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Branford Fl
We have 2 roosters over 7 hens a peice. 14 total birds. My question is this 7 months +ago we were hatching eggs from this group left and right fertility was awesome hatch rates perfect chicks all lived. This year our last 2 hatches have been horrible! Out of 38 eggs 6 hatched nothing different with incubation nor feed water. We feed layer pellets clean water. I am stumped the roosters are only 2 years old hens are 14-16 months old. It has been extremely hot this year will that play a part in fertility? It's only been the past two hatches last month and now this month. I still have 2 days to go to figure out what my hatch is this time so far it's not looking good at all! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have been breaking open a few eggs lately to check for fertility and as of late I am finding a few more infertile eggs too. I am thinking the heat has something to do with my fertility rate as it has been in the upper 90's here. Also I was feeding my flock Breeder Pellets but haven't lately, just Layer.

The reason I asked is Purina has recently switched to an all vegetable protein which chickens cannot fully utilize.
They need animal protein to fully utilize the vitamins and minerals needed to make healthy chicks.
Even something as simple as adding a bit of dog kibble can really help.
Brewer's yeast added to feed will dramatically increase needed riboflavin.
Another thing alot of people have been noticing is the rapid decline in fertility rates because of GMO soy.
There has been a few studies lately showing marked fertility drops because of it.
Hope your able to figure out whats happening soon.

Heat has a lot to do with it. I was getting the same problem so now the eggs go to the frig least till we start to get lower temps. Funny thing it only bothers the large birds my bantams are still going strong on the hatch

We do use Purina! How long has this feed been like this? When would it have started the process of making us infertile? I understand heat has a lot to do with it we have had heat index' of 105 here for the past 2 weeks. We have fans on our birds with dirt floors also as much fresh water as they could want.

I am relived I am not the only one experiencing the infertility now/and also sorry that you all are infertile as well...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom