Fertility & Your Feed!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pips&peeps, May 4, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I went to a Show this weekend and they had a little half hour discussion from two of the top breeders in the area on feeding and fertility.

I learned that Purina Layena and a couple of other prominent feeds removed the animal proteins from the feed within the past year.

I was informed that animal proteins are needed for good fertility in your flock!!! I have had a rooster with fertility problems for the first time this year and will be changing feeds. I also have a friend that has some nice birds that I hatch for also and she is having fertility issues and we both started using Layena as the only source of feed last fall.

So, if you start to notice some problems hatching chicks this could be your problem. Please check your ingredient list to make sure you are feeding your animals what they need.

If you only have chickens for laying eggs and pets, then you are fine feeding your gals feed without the animal proteins.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    That is very good information to know. Thank you for sharing!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Couldn't agree more, Jean. I use laying pellets with 22% protein most of the time and sometimes use their 16% pellet, both with animal protein. Most people dont think of changing to breeder ration when they are going to hatch chicks; however, when they order hatching eggs, they have no idea what the breeders are being fed.

4. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    pips&peeps :

I went to a Show this weekend and they had a little half hour discussion from two of the top breeders in the area on feeding and fertility.

I learned that Purina Layena and a couple of other prominent feeds removed the animal proteins from the feed within the past year.

I was informed that animal proteins are needed for good fertility in your flock!!! I have had a rooster with fertility problems for the first time this year and will be changing feeds. I also have a friend that has some nice birds that I hatch for also and she is having fertility issues and we both started using Layena as the only source of feed last fall.

So, if you start to notice some problems hatching chicks this could be your problem. Please check your ingredient list to make sure you are feeding your animals what they need.

If you only have chickens for laying eggs and pets, then you are fine feeding your gals feed without the animal proteins.

I have been using Layena since we've had chickens and have had no problems with fertility. It's great stuff.​

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Jean, I agree with you and have found through my own experiences that you get better fertility, viability and hatchability by supplementing layer rations. We use gamebird breeder layena here which seems to work well. Ranging is also an important factor and I hope they can pick up nutrients that perhaps milled feeds can't provide by offering foraging opportunities to our flocks.

On a side note, I've read about folks experiencing problems with tumors in their hens from feeding soy based layer rations only. I have never had the issue nor would I consider a soy only based food, so couldn't speak to the concern, but wonder if anyone else has noticed this issue with their birds?

Jody

6. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I'd like to know where one can actually find a feed that contains animal protein. This has been a complaint among many breeders for quite a while. Due to the whole mad cow disease scare several years ago, pretty much all feed producers have pulled it in fear of liability. I can get 22% protein pellets but it is still PLANT protein. A lot of people have started adding a small amount of cat food to their birds diets to help replace the missing animal protein. The fact of the matter is, chickens are omnivores, not herbivores, and simply do not do as well without the animal protein in the diet. I do offer some cat food and whatever I bring home in a doggy bag (they love prime rib!) when I eat out or cook at home. It would just be a lot easier if it was all incorporated into a pellet.

Richard

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

So should I not use Purina layena? Or just supplement with something else?

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    It is hard to find a feed with animal protein. When I ground up hamburger or other meat and have left overs I usually just put it through the meat grinder add it to some yogurt and my chicks think they are getting a delicious treat [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    This is very interesting! Thanks for the information! [​IMG]

10. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I am going to be checking me feed ASAP! If it isnt what It should be I will be changning their feed! Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by