fertilization question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lach Cnoc Farm, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    So i just put 2 of my golden X runner duck eggs in the incubator yesterday afternoon. They were clear when i popped em in and today I can see a little spot in the yolks. does it mean they're fertile?

I really hope so, we just lost the daddy to an eagle, the same one that tried to fly off with a chicken this afternoon, right in front of us! We scared it off by yelling at it luckily, but then it sat and watched while i threw everyone, including the ducks into the coop. then flew off not even a minute after i was done, very disappointed I'm sure....

They nest all over the hillside behind our property but I'm starting to wish they weren't endangered! Dang these floods and bad Salmon seasons! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Obviously they aren't endangered where you live... you keep feeding them!

3. Lach Cnoc Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    This is the very first time we've ever had a problem with them. we've only had 1 hawk before, got one of my splash OEGB hens last year, then left when i put the Owl statues up... ha..ha [​IMG]

4. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    you wont really be able to tell until at least day 4...but you have at least a months worth of fertile eggs from that male so dont be discouraged if these arent...as long as he was not killed more than a month ago...because the female will keep the males sperm inside her for at least a month

5. Lach Cnoc Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    That's GREAT to know, I was worried i might have to watch for rotten ones or take them away and do it all myself!

Hopefully I will have a new Muscovy boy tomorrow

Then maybe a new non-scovie drake next saturday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by