Fertilization questions!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FreedomFarm13, Dec 2, 2016.

1. FreedomFarm13

FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Hi there! I have a few questions for all you experts out there. I've looked at several threads about how to tell if your eggs are fertile or not, but I'm still having some trouble telling if mine are. It took me a while to get good pics, but I think I've got some good enough for you to be able to see what I'm working with here...

All three of these are the same egg, just FYI:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a couple questions about my cockerels...I have an 8 month old wheaten Am and a 17 week old blue Am. I'm not sure that I've ever seen either of the boys go after my girls. How often would they normally do it? Am I just missing it? Also, if my eggs are fertile, is my 17 week old boy old enough to be the father of some of the fertile eggs? I know it's November and they may have slowed down some because it's cold, and my girls just started laying fairly recently, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible. I'm new to having a full grown cockerel with pullets old enough to be laying, so it's uncharted territory for me. Any info would be super helpful, and I hope you can see the pics OK. Oh, and one last question: my one and only girl that's laying atm is an 8 month old SLW, whose broodermate also appears to be close to laying. Her comb had plumped up and is consistently bright red and she's getting friendlier like the other girl and hanging out in the run/coop a lot during the day while the others are out foraging. Her "sister" does this, too. Is she gonna lay before spring, too? If so, I'm sooooo happy I'm getting myself an incubator for Christmas!!! Thanks again for any advice and sorry this is so long!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I'd call that egg fertile. Your cockerels are old enough to fertilize the eggs, and from what you said I would not be surprised at all if the other pullet you mentioned started laying soon. You don't always see roosters go after the hens but that doesn't mean they aren't. You're just missing it.

3. FreedomFarm13

FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    I love it when people tell me what I want to hear!!! (Doesn't happen often, lol) Thanks so much for your response. I was leaning toward it being fertile, too, it's just not as obvious as other pics I've seen. Looks to me like the rings on a tree. But good to know someone else sees what I see. That's very exciting!! I need to get my bator now so I can hatch out some beautiful OE babies! Thanks again!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Haha! You're very welcome.

5. Phaedre

Phaedre Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Quote: yes they look like they would have been chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by