Fertilized Egg a Bullseye?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heidi, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    On an earlier thread by siz8003 she showed a pic of two just layed eggs. Someone mentioned that one of them had a bullseye (fertilized egg). Exactly how can one know that it is a bullseye or a fertilized egg? Someone PLEASE explain.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you look at an egg, there is a white spot on every yolk, called a blastodisc. When fertilized, there is a white circle around that and then it's called a blastoderm because it is fertile. Here are pics of fertile eggs for reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    so con you tell by candiling them?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, you can't see anything but a yolk shadow at this stage. You'll have to incubate for several days before you can see anything by candling.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No, if you candled them, no matter how powered your light, you wont be able to resolve the speck. With a high powered light, the earliest you can see an embryo would be about stage 14 when the blood ring develops. That is just over 60 hours of incubation. Chances are though you wont be able to see anything with brown eggs or normal lights.

6. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I knew you would answer my question speckledhen! Thanks so much - I just gave my husband 101 on a fertilized egg too. You are always so helpful to all of us new chicken mom's. Thanks again! [​IMG]

7. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting!! Who knew? I've learned sooo much this past week! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by