Fertilized egg help and do I have a roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by butterflygrooves, Jul 16, 2010.

1. butterflygrooves

butterflygrooves Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    I cracked open 4 eggs to bake a cake and saw a white bullseye on each of the yolks... My google search came back saying that those were fertilized eggs. Is this true?

All 5 of my girls are supposed to really be girls, no signs of a rooster yet. The 3 oldest are 5 months today (2 of which are laying, one identified, not sure who the other is), another is 4 1/2 months and the last is 3 months (definitely a hen according to feed store owner).

So I guess my questions are: #1 Does the white bullseye on the yolk mean it's fertilized? (sorry, I couldn't get a clear pic of the egg so no pic to show) and... #2 Can anyone tell me if any of my babies might be a roo?

Gretchen - 5 month old Black Jersey Giant
    [​IMG]

Mulberry - 3 month old Brown Leghorn
    [​IMG]

Nugget - 4 1/2 month old BO
    [​IMG]

Henrietta - 5 month old RIR (def not a roo, caught her laying yesterday)
    [​IMG]

Dolly - 5 month old BO (suspected to be the other layer but not sure, she does the squat thing when I pet her)
    [​IMG]

2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Dolly looks like Dalton to me

3. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Dolly is a female you can tell by the pic. A male won't do the squat either. You have to look very close at the spot. You can have eggs that will have that spot but that doesn't mean fertilization has occured.

4. butterflygrooves

butterflygrooves Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    What should I be looking out for to ID a roo? No crowing yet, no spurs. Hoping I don't have a roo but want to be on the lookout.

5. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    None of those pics sream roo to me. Very pretty girls! I didnt know a brown leghorn looks so much like an EE, (easter egger) I really do learn something new here everyday!

Every egg you open will have a white spot- it is the actual 'ovum' or egg cell, the yellow yolk is food for the baby. The white spot of a fertilized egg will be slightly enlarged with a white-ish 'halo' around the white dot in the center. There are some great pics of fetilized vs. non-fertilized in the hatching eggs section- but even the 'pro's' can have a hard time telling the difference early on in development.

Congrats on your beautiful flock!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by