FERTILIZED EGG PRICE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jj ranch, Jan 28, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    a guy down the road asked for 4 dozen fertilized eggs to put in his bator, i sell each dozen of chicken for food purposes for 2.00. would you ask for more being he is going to hatch? [​IMG] they are rocks and reds. was just wanting some thoughts [​IMG]

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I wouldn't personally...

3. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    To me, selling eggs is selling eggs... Once someone buys them it's up to them what to DO with them, put them into their stomach, or put them into a 'bator... don't see why it should make a difference in price. [​IMG]

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Some people will charge a little more for hatching eggs, simply because you have to be more careful with them, and they have to be the freshest eggs that you have. I'd say if you're selling edibles for $2, sell hatchers for $4. That, to me, would be a fair price (granted, here, it's around $3 for edibles, hatchers, I don't know).

5. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Are the eating eggs you sell fertile? If so I am not sure, if not I would ask at least $5.00 a dozen. I am paying around $20-$25 dozen for shipped fertile eggs on here, so I would think you should charge more for fertile eggs.

6. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    If you have a good fertility rate you should definitely charge more. You are the one that has to house, feed, and tolerate a rooster to get those fertile eggs. Hence they are worth more.

7. HMMMM , I think thats totally a sellers decission , you will get all kinds of oppinions cause dif people think differently.
    If i were in your situation yea i would sell him a couple dozen for the price you had been selling them for if he has been a steady customer for some time. If you are turning the eggs and collecting special eggs for him and checking fertility then maybe charge a lil more , but thats just my oppinion.

Fay

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Hatching eggs cost alot more than eating eggs. Look at the prices people charge here. Also it depends on the breed.

Steve in NC

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    If you sell eating eggs that are not fertile for 2.00 a doz. then fertile eggs should be 1.00 each..
    depends on the type of chicks.
    Care and feed of ur hens and Roos
    is costly.

10. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I bought 2 dozen eggs from the farm we get eggs from. I told them I wanted them for hatching and as such did not want them washed or refrigerated. When I got there, they had only 9 fresh ones and gave me 2 dozen at regular price that had been washed and refrigerated 5 days. Some of them were cracked (both washed and unwashed) and I didn't see them until I candled before setting them out to come to room temp.

If you are going to do the work of candling and collecting more often to ensure clean eggs, I would charge more. You could just ask him what he wants. If he wants the extra work, charge double the regular rate. If he wants them just as he usually gets them, stick to the regular price.

By the way, half of the washed refrigerated eggs I set hatched.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by