fertilized eggs 17 dauys after roosters death

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7kids12hens, Sep 26, 2011.

1. 7kids12hens

7kids12hens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Well, I finally lost count of how many days its been since my rooster died. I guess that's a good thing. I was quite surprised to gather eggs today for fried eggs for lunch and find that I still have three hens laying fertilized eggs. It has in fact been 17 days since he died. Could that still be his doing (I've read that they can remain fertile for 12 days), or do you think it could be my young wimpy roo that won't crow and is still afraid of the hens? I watch them A LOT and I've not seem my young boy even looking like he wants to mate and definitely haven't "caught him in the act".

Am I the only chicken owner that has eggs for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Surely not.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hens can store sperm 2-3 if not more weeks... and it only takes one sperm to fertilize an egg.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sperm can be stored 2 + weeks with high fertility, 3 weeks with moderate fertility and up to 4 weeks + with some fertility. Aren't chickens marvelous. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by