1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertilized eggs for kitchen use?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by r4eboxer, Sep 22, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I got 9 hen chicks and 1 rooster chick in August. I decided at the last minute to get the rooster after reading a magazine article about the benefits of having one.

I don't want to raise chicks and want the eggs for the food source. I am wondering about the eggs, am I going to crack open eggs to use in food and have a chick developing inside?

~Robin

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nope you will not even be able to tell.
    Collect your eggs everyday, refridgerate them and enjoy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    try searching "safe to eat fertilized eggs" for more info but yes you can eat fertilized eggs and unless they reach a temp of about 100 degrees they won't start developing.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    x3 I use fertilized eggs in my kitchen all the time & am proud to say that not once have I had anything other than what you would expect from a cracked egg in a frying pan!
    Just make sure, as was said, to collect them daily--I check 2-3 times daily--and you'll be fine.

5. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. I feel much better now knowing I won't crack open an egg and see a tiny chick developing. I'll be sure to search twice a day completely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by