Fertilized eggs on eBay??

brecosky

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
Texas
I pulled my old incubator out today from when my brooder died and cleaned it out because I saw some good prices on ayam cemani eggs I was wondering if anyone has bought these eggs or any eggs off of eBay and how their experience was?? Does anyone think this sounds like a good or bad idea I'm just trying to think about weather or not to do it. While searching I also found some peacock eggs for sale and was wondering about incubating some for my garden/ yard it's been awhile since I encubated any chicks and peacock eggs seem way to big for the egg rotator thing I have while the chicken eggs in this situation seem to small can I rotate them by hand and has anyone had success with this how often/ demanding is incubating I've only previously done a single clutch from a favorite hen but that was a while back and I don't remember any of it. Lol

I would really, really research anyone selling Ayam Cemani eggs right now. Seems to be lots of folks trying to cash in on the craze and selling either substandard birds or birds that are something else entirely. Just beware.

I would really, really research anyone selling Ayam Cemani eggs right now. Seems to be lots of folks trying to cash in on the craze and selling either substandard birds or birds that are something else entirely. Just beware.

Thanks I have an adult hen now but I rlly wanted a couple more their a cool bread. They seemed like legit breeders I was just wondering about fertility and shipping. What would you say the chance they would actually hatch be. Along with rotation I'm not rlly sure on how to do it properly

Last edited:
Someone on BYC has ayam cemani eggs. $20 an egg or a better deal if you buy more. They are in NY. Don't know where you are or if they will ship. Try to find reviews on the seller. You can have success with shipped eggs but they are harder. Also, make sure your incubator is working good, consistent temps, etc. and calibrate your thermometer & hygrometer before you start. I'm home most of the time and loved incubating. But I set aside a lot of time to study about it each day and I had to hand turn. Please let me know if you'd like me to look up the BYC user who has the eggs and I'll get you there name.

I bought a half dozen BB Red Bantam eggs last year, seller was nice enough to send me 11 total. One of them had a detached air cell which is a very bad sign, that egg did not develope.

I ended up hatching out 8 babies between an incubator and one of my broody hens. The seller was selling fresh and very fertile eggs and also packaging them very carefully.

When buying shipped eggs keep in mind if they are not packaged well, or if they get bounced around too much they could ALL arrive with detached air cells which would be a huge problem (even if the eggs were fertile and fresh whey they left the breeders house).

At $20 an egg that would worry me, if you buy a few at $100-$200 and the package arrives with detached air cells from shipping that could be a HUGE disappointment.

Last edited:
I would be very cautious of spending money on peacock eggs. They are nowhere near as easy to hatch as chicken eggs. Even non-shipped eggs are a challenge to hatch in an incubator. I hate seeing people throw their money away on expensive peacock eggs that never hatch.

You will be much better off buying birds locally, even if you have to make a road-trip out of it
smile.png

X 2 - it's extremely prevalent right now on E-bay, CL, etc for misrepresented eggs to be sold - it's a great scam if you think about it since it's a month after the transaction before the truth comes out (by the time eggs are shipped and hatched). Those "great deals" aren't such great deals once the chicks hatch and you discover you are out some significant money with nothing to show for it. For the current "in demand" breeds I recommend working only with a trusted source.

X3 I have been looking for Cemani eggs as well but I'm having a really hard time vetting the sellers I find. At 10 or 20 I'll chance but not when I'm paying 20 per egg!

BTW i have a question for anyone that may know....I've been looking at Pavlovskaya chickens butthere doesn't seem to be much info out there. Does anyone know much about this breed on here.

Back
Top Bottom