Fertilized Eggs Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SweetLilRachy00, Jan 25, 2008.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    So I have never hatched eggs before. I have raised my chickens from day old chicks...They are now laying and my one roo is having a field day with his 11 gals!

I was thinking of picking and choosing an egg or two to try to incubate. Is there a good way to try to guess which ones are fertile? I know you can candle them, but that's only days afterwards isn't it? Do most people just put a bunch in the 'bater and wait to see what happens? I don't have a 'bater yet...either...btw... lol The chickens don't sit on their eggs. They just drop 'em and go! [​IMG] So I would need to make one I guess...

Hmm...wonder when my silkies will go broody, they could do all the work!

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    If they are thick shelled and big dark eggs it would be hard to candle for fertility..
    Just wait for a silkie to go broody and give her some eggs. Do not give her to many.
    Silkies are good mothers but I have had some that don't get it right the first time.
    And if they have to many big eggs to try to cover then you looses some.
    3-5 eggs for a new mother is good.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd just get a bator just in case anways since if you get one broody and she gives up 2 weeks in, it's hard to let the eggs go. You can't tell fertility though a shell without incubation first. Just pick a dozen, and toss them in an incubator and away you go!

4. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Thanks

"You can't tell fertility though a shell without incubation first. "

That was my initial question, just not worded as good!

My silkies are still babies!! Only like 18 wk(i lost count) so they probably still have a while yet! Will see about a bater...gotta extend their coopt his weekend first!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by