Fertilized eggs question

Sphynxcrazy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
When a rooster and hen mate will her eggs be fertilized from just one mating? Or does it take a few matings before they are??

How long are her eggs fertilized after she is removed from the roosters run??

Yes. Once will do it. When I separate my hens that I want to breed I put them in the pen with the rooster that I want them to breed with and throw away the eggs for 3 to 4 weeks before I collect them to incubate.

When she mates with the rooster, the next day's egg should be fertile. One mating CAN keep a hen laying fertile eggs up to two weeks, but I wouldn't count on that, if possible leave her in with him for several days.

If she'd been exposed to another rooster right before, his sperm could still fertilize her egg, also. She needs to have been unmated for 2-3 weeks to be sure the eggs are fertilized by the rooster you want.

All I have is 1 beautiful EE rooster. I am making an incubator and wanted to try it out.I put my EE hen in with him this morning, so hopefully in a couple weeks I will start incubating!!!!

I was also thinking hatching some eggs from him and my barred Plymouth rock for meat, but she is molting right now.

I have been reading a lot about people shipping eggs. Does it mess with the hatch rate since they were shipped??

Why do you not have your hens and rooster together all the time?

If the ee has not been with another rooster you can start incubatin eggs as soon as you're ready.

Your ee roo over a barred rock should make sex link babies---I've gotten some pretty birds from this mix. Males will hatch out with a white spot on their heads, females will hatch out with solid heads.

I don't do shipped eggs so can't help you there...........

I sell the eggs and most people don't want fertilized eggs. I usually make good side money doing to. My grandpa Is the largest organic farmer in the state, so i get free feed. unfortunately i live 3 hours from them. So when ever i go down or they come up I get the feed. Sometimes i get a 2,000 pound tote.

Also my rooster chocolate chip is mean. He knows he will get the boot from me, but other people or people shorter than me (i'm 5' 10") he will try to attack so he has a seperate pen where he lives with the 2 polish hen. I have been meaning to try that potato spur thing. i just dont want to hurt him.

I do occasionally let the rooster free range with the hens. I think it encourages them and egg production is higher. His pen is right next to theres also which helps.

Thats quite interesting that the barred rock chicks should be sex links. I saw a thread where they were explaining all this sex link chickens stuff on here somewhere....

Last edited:
No offense but why do you want offspring from a mean rooster? It's not like you're breeding a specific breed and he's the gold standard (even then I personally wouldn't breed a mean animal) or something else really rare. Nice roos aren't that hard to find.

Chicks don't inherit that do they???? I don't want the chicks to be mean. He was my first chicken, that's why he isn't soup. He used to be nice but, some friends and their kids have came over multiple times and the kids were teasing him. I didn't know until I caught them.

I got 15 LF salmon faverolle eggs shipped to me from a reputable breeder. 12 out of 15 are developing and due to hatch this weeks! I am so excited, I have seen that the average hatch rate for shipped eggs is 50% or so but my friend & I have had better luck than that! She has 14 out of 15 developing!! So I think for the right price/breed shipped eggs are worth it, but then again I have some in my incubator from my Speckled Sussex/Opington & columbian rock/oprington. My orpington rooster is amazing with the best temperment and he is a great protector of his flock (even protects the subordinate roos) since they are free ranging this is critical to us!

Back
Top Bottom