Fertilized eggs

BabyTot

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2019
Northern Utah
Hey so I have 8 chickens and one silkie rooster, they are not fully matured yet except one chicken, but I'm worried about fertilized eggs, I never planned on incubating or anything like that so I'm worried about the eggs because I don't want to accidentally crack one open thinking it's a regular egg because I would feel horrible for the little chick that didn't get to live, so I would rather know that it's fertilized and incubate it and take care then accidentally use it, so how can I tell if they're fertilized or even keep it from happening if that's an option? Also sorry my way of speaking isn't very organized; it's sorta scatter brained.

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Hey so I have 8 chickens and one silkie rooster, they are not fully matured yet except one chicken, but I'm worried about fertilized eggs, I never planned on incubating or anything like that so I'm worried about the eggs because I don't want to accidentally crack one open thinking it's a regular egg because I would feel horrible for the little chick that didn't get to live, so I would rather know that it's fertilized and incubate it and take care then accidentally use it, so how can I tell if they're fertilized or even keep it from happening if that's an option? Also sorry my way of speaking isn't very organized; it's sorta scatter brained.
If you don't want fertilized eggs, get rid of your cockerel.
There is nothing at all wrong with eating fertilized eggs. I eat them daily.
An embryo will not begin to form unless the eggs have been incubated by a broody hen or placed in an incubator.
I don't really see what the problem is here??

BabyTot

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2019
Northern Utah
An embryo will not begin to form unless the eggs have been incubated by a broody hen or placed in an incubator.
Sorry I just didn't know that my bad

BabyTot

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2019
Northern Utah
Now I feel like an idiot :/

chrissynemetz

Psalm 91 ❤
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 19, 2013
Olathe Colorado
It's not a big deal, don't feel bad :)
If you have a cockerel, eventually all your eggs could potentially end up fertilized. But as long as you collect them daily it's not a problem because the eggs have to be incubated before a chick starts to form.
And you can totally eat fertilized eggs, there isn't really a difference in taste or anything.
If you have any more questions about anything at all feel free to ask. :D
Oh and welcome to BYC. :frow

Top Bottom