Fertilized Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodmort, Jul 8, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Have you ever had anyone refuse to take or buy your eggs because you had roosters and the eggs would be fertilized? I have a couple of times either from vegetarians or from people afraid they would crack one open and a chick would fall out. Seriously.[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Happened to me last week. "FERTILIZED eggs? I don't want to eat any embryos!"

[​IMG]

No matter how much I explain there aren't embryos developing without incubation, that person just won't try 'em. Oh, well, her loss. She was all interested in free range eggs until she asked if the rooster "got to" the hens.

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I have a girlfriend like that said it made her sick to think of it..hummmm I told her to build a hen house and I'd sell her some hens she's working on building the house. Me I never really thought about it if you don't incubate them they're just eggs to me.

4. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    My five year old daughter was worried that our cockerals might have fertilized our first egg which I ate for breakfast. When she saw the inside, she said, "whew, I was worried."

5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    The only one, was a customer that was going through radiation and chemo treatments. Her Dr. said specifically not to eat fertile eggs.
    I did have a few pullets laying that had not been penned with a rooster yet, so I could accommodate her until after her treatments were done and Dr. gave her the OK to eat the kind of eggs she wanted to. She went back to the fertile eggs and I put the hens in with a rooster.

Jean

6. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    My grandfather refuses to eat our eggs when the roosters are in. Its not because he's worried over chicks, he says he doesnt want to eat, you know...rooster sperm. Is that a common compliant? [​IMG] I dont know why he even ever thought of it. lol.

7. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    Quote:I've never heard such a thing, not that I doubt what you are saying, it just sounds crazy

Do you have any idea why a doctor would say that?

8. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    The eggs we get from the farmers market ( until ours start laying) are all fertilized, so.....we decided to incubate some at the end of the month to see if they would hatch... We have not had a problem eating fertilized eggs. My kids are so used to fresh eggs...we have them sold to us unwashed, unrefrigerated...so that we can keep them out on the counter and not in the fridge...that they do NOT want to buy any store bought eggs..

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:That mean he avoids all fruits and nuts--they're pollinated and it's the same thing. Give him that thought. [​IMG]

10. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Rooster sperm. That's just too funny! [​IMG]

I have a friend who was raised in suburban NJ who simply refuses to eat my fresh eggs - ANY of them, fertilized or not. She's too weirded out that they "come out of chickens"... yet supermarket eggs don't bother her in the least. Umm... just where do you think supermarket eggs come from??? (She also thinks that there are hyenas living in our town. No, those would be coyotes. Not a nature girl, that one.)

Some of my friends are a bit weirded out by the idea fertilized eggs, till I describe what they'd see - and it turns out they've seen the same thing in store eggs on occasion. Who woulda thunk? Then they happily take the eggs.

On the other end of the spectrum, my sister-in-law is normally a very strict vegan, but will make an exception for our eggs, because she has met and held the birds producing them, and knows they're loved and well-cared-for and fed only the best food possible. I'm really proud of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by