Fertilized Eggs ???

Vintendo

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
Ok, I am a complete newcomer. I have searched the forum for my answer. Although a tremendous amount of info exists here,
I cannot find my answer to this specific question. I am sure this is an easy one for anyone with a little experience.

We got our first 3 chickens, they are about 10 weeks old, I am pretty sure one is a rooster. We got the chickens
as pets for the kids and for eggs. We love them. Anyway, If we want just eggs for consumption, should we
get rid of the rooster? We dont need fertilised eggs. As mentioned throughout this forum, we have the whole noise thing
to contend with as well, but will all eggs come out fertilised? Is there an edible difference between fertilised and non?

Thanks and forgive my ignorance.

There is absolutely no difference in taste or nutrition between fertilized and unfertilized eggs. The only visible difference is the white spot on the yolk will be a "bulls-eye" instead of a solid circle. No embryo will develop without incubation, which means a hen is sitting on it for several days - 21 total for a successful hatch by hen- for ANYthing to develop.

Welcome to BYC. From what I've read here and on the USDA site eating fertilized eggs are not a problem. If your roo isn't trashing your hens or annoying the neighbors I wouldn't worry about it.
Keith

hi and
welcome-byc.gif

If you aren't going to be incubating/hatching, save your hens a LOT of bother and either rehome or eat the roo.

The only good reason to keep a roo if you aren't going to be raising chicks, is if you free range. The roo is a good watch dog, keeps any eye on his flock, calls when he finds food, etc. Mine is trying to show the ladies where to lay eggs, and how to sit in the next box. Now that is funny to watch him tell his favorite girl what to do. I sure wish I could understand ALL the chicken talk....BUT, he does cause the smallest pullets a lot of grief. I am probably gonna have to send him on his way soon.

Thank you all for the replies. All very helpful. He has been waking me up @ 5:45 am, and I rush to the coop to let him out so he shuts up and doesnt
bother the neighbors. This was not part of the deal. I work hard and need my sleep. If it gets worse, where he continues after I let him out, or if he
does it in the evening, he will be rehomed. I will then have 2 hens. Will it be traumatising for the 2 hens since they were raised as 3 chicks together?
Is having 2 hens ok or will they get bored and lonely? I know these sound like wimpy questions but we got them as pets and want them to be
emotionally and physically healthy.
101915_renault_004.jpg

The Amuericana is the Rooster

Back
Top Bottom