fertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gypsyfarm123, Oct 30, 2011.

1. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Do people eat fertilized eggs? I never really gave it much thought,since I really hadn't planned on eating my chickens eggs. I just got them because a neighbor down the way had chickens and they would always come over and I'd feed them some bread or whatever scraps I had. Well, long story short the guy (whom I never met in the 6yrs or so since I built my house BTW) Anyways, the jerk moves out and just left them fend for themselves. So they basically became mine along with a couple guinea hens and about 20 feral cats! (That I managed to trap and get fixed(well, except for two REALLY smart female's..but I'll get them eventually:)For about a year or so all was good Then the chickens started to disappear one by one until there were NoNE left. So I decided to get my own, (since I missed the little bugger's) and make a proper home for them. I had ordered all hens but when I went to pick them up, the nice lady said since I was going to free range during the day that I should get a rooster because he will tend to guard them. So I agreed and she kindly gave me one for free. Now I've got to thinking, 'I have chickens,why NOT eat the eggs,right? But I'm a little grossed out that I may crack an egg and there be an un born chic inside since I have the rooster. uugghh! I think I would NEVER be able to eat an egg again! Is this possible? Or do I just make sure the hens never have time to sit on them? I apologize for my chicken ignorance,and it seems I never have the time or patience to sit down and read up on chickenology<<<did I just make up a word? OK, thanks to all for taking the time to read this,I have been wanting to ask this FOREVER but was too embarrassed to do so.But Wth,better to find out now before they start laying,I guess...craig

2. luvmy33chicks

luvmy33chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    you will not find "anybody" in the eggs
    just collect them once a day
    fresh eggs are much better then store bought

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Just gather the eggs daily and you will be okay. Then, even if they are fertilized, you will never know the difference. They are not going to start developing on your counter and in your fridge. And, by all means, eat those eggs!! They are delicious [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  4. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    It is fine to eat fertilized eggs, we do. If you collect the eggs every day and put them in the fridge there is no way there will be a formed chick. The egg wont start to develop unless they are kept at 99 degrees.

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Yay Chicks! :

Just gather the eggs daily and you will be okay. Then, even if they are fertilized, you will never know the difference. They are not going to start developing on your counter and in your fridge. And, by all means, eat those eggs!! They are delicious [​IMG]

X2​

6. gypsyfarm123

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    WOW,that was fast! Thanks all..And thanks for being kind about my stupidity:)

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    That was not stupid. You did not know. You should have seen and still see some of the questions I a have asked. [​IMG] I have been told all my life the only stupid question is the one not asked.

8. gypsyfarm123

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Thank you for that "Terrilhb" [​IMG] I've got a whole bunch of questions I was too embarrassed to ask (if you didn't think that was dumb...just wait! lol lol. Seriously though, thanks.

9. femmemechanics

femmemechanics New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    thanks for asking this! i am also new to "chickenology" [​IMG] and just the thought of eating an embryo grossed me out (even if it wasn't visible to the naked eye).. man, i am learning SO much on these forums! love it.

10. Josiah Woodfield

Josiah Woodfield Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Chestertown, MD
    By the way, there were some scientific studies out that said fertilized eggs were better as they don't have the same bad cholestrol?... gotta go find that article now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by