Fertilized Yard

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Mama Hen 1, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Mama Hen 1

Mama Hen 1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2014
    colorado
    I'm planning on beginning a small flock this spring. The grass in our backyard is mostly brand new sod from last summer... and has been fertilized a good 3 times. My concern is I don't want to allow my chickens to graze on it if there chemicals from the fertilizer. How long should I wait (and I will now on be using a natural fertilizer) for the grass to be safe? Or is there no concern?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's perfectly safe. Most chemical fertilizers are good to graze after a rain. Everything is washed off the blades of grass at this point. I would be as concerned with the potential damage the chickens could inflict on the new sod.

3. Mama Hen 1

Mama Hen 1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2014
    colorado
    Thank you. Planning on not having them constantly free ranging. But out in the yard when we're out. .. which is quite regularly. Can I feed them the grass clippings? Would that be a good alternative to not giving them free access to the grass?

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't know how well grass grows in your part of the world. However, I will say this. Depending on the size of your lot, the population of your flock, the frequency and the duration of your outdoor activates, without close supervision there may not be any grass clipping to feed you flock, your chickens may scratch all your new grass to kingdom come.....

[​IMG]

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

You are much better off feeding them finely cut clippings, and sparing your lawn.

Make sure they have access to grit if you do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by