1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertilized?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladynewtochicks, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ladynewtochicks

ladynewtochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana
    I have no crowing or dominant mounting behavior going on and they are all last springs chicks, roosters were all sent away this summer (I thought). I swear I've seen them all sit and lay an egg in the box but obviously someone has gotten by me because that's a fertilized bullseye is it not??? Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, that would be great news...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That sure looks like a fertile egg in the top picture. Can you post a picture of your birds ?

3. ladynewtochicks

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana

Yes I can later the coop isn't at my house [​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Doesn't look fertile to me at all.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Did you enlarge the first picture ? If so I will trust your young eyes over my old eyes, but sure looks like a blastocyst to me. [​IMG]

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I did. It's an infertile spot, no ring immediately surrounding it. The displaced yolk from the blastoderm is give a sort illusion of a ring. It's too far out to be a fertile egg. In a fertile egg, the center of the blastocyst isn't quite as bright white.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  7. ladynewtochicks

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana

Awesome thank you

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Well that egg in the first photo particularly would have fooled me too. Not sure I would have any confidence in identifying a fertile egg by looking at it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by